Free projects dealing with media management:
- kphotoalbum (GPL) : tool to help me describe my images, and to search in the pile of images.
- http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/ (GPL) : light-weight streaming client-server system for the web-based viewing and zooming of ultra high-resolution images
- http://www.codeproject.com/KB/web-image/GalleryServerPro.aspx (GPL) : powerful and easy-to-use ASP.NET web application that lets you share and manage photos, video, audio, and other files over the web.
- http://www.galleryserverpro.com/ : the official web-site
- http://mediatomb.cc/ (GPL) : UPnP MediaServer to stream your digital media through your home network and listen to/watch it on a variety of UPnP compatible devices.
- http://www.zoph.org/concrete/ (GPL) : Zoph is primarily targeted at keeping your photos organized for yourself, giving you granular control over what you'd like to show to others, on a per-album or even a per-photo basis.
- http://myphotoindex.codeplex.com/ (GPLv2) : tag based cataloging application for managing my personal photo collection
- http://coppermine-gallery.net/ (GPL) : multi-purpose fully-featured and integrated web picture gallery script written in PHP
If something proves to be a really interesting base for our needs, we have to rethink about the licensing model. For example if we take GPL code as a base, then we must also release under a GPL compatible license (BSD is not compatible with it in that direction).
Other non free projects